Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

OF SIX OR FIVE (OR MAYBE EVEN FOUR) -- Blogophilia 12.5




Blogophilia week 12.5 - "When I was just a child"

Bonus Points:

(Hard, 2pts): Incorporate gauché as a feeling or an anime character
(Easy, 1pt): Include the word "Placebo"


Final date to post BLOG: May 19, 2012 - Saturday, midnight Pacific Time
Final date to post ALL GUESSES: May 18, 2012 - Friday, midnight Pacific Time

Please highlight or otherwise point out your bonus points attempts.


Guess correctly who submitted the topic... and a correct guess at who submitted the picture earns you additional points.


Guess correctly the secret "word or phrase" earns a chance at more points. Including the secret word or phrase within your blog content earns an additional point.

***************




OF SIX OR FIVE
(OR MAYBE EVEN FOUR)

I was barely six
or maybe five or four,
when I learned these things
and really so much more
as my mother sat us down
(my brothers and sisters and me)
on the floor at her knee
and read those stories
that I so very well recall.
She read to us of Peter Pan
and Mary Poppins
and a bear named Pooh.
Christopher Robin
became my best friend
as I listened to those stories
when I was just a child
so very long ago.



I learned about places

where I never thought I'd go,
Timbuktu and the North Pole,
the Rive Gauche of Paris,
Mushroom Planets in the sky
and voyages way down
to the bottom of the sea,
all so very intriguing to me.
It was the best medicine
in all the world
for a kid like me,
no placebo necessary
for my mother's stories
were quite enough.

I learned the color
of the evening sky,
"skybluepink" it was,
my mother said,
and as the day
melts into the night
I recall those words
she told me when
I was just a child
of six or five
or maybe even four.



I learned to listen
and I learned to imagine
and I learned to ask
the reasons why.
All these things
and so much more
I learned way back then--
when I was just a child
of six
or five
or maybe even four.



(c) barbara kausteklis 5-16-12

Written for Blogophilia 12.5/"When I Was Just a Child."
http://www.myspace.com/blogophilia/blog/545718891

GUESSES:

TOPIC SUBMITTED BY: Christopher
PHOTO SUBMITTED BY: Dahlia


PHRASES: Fly Away Home, A Diamond is a Girl's Best Friend, Diamonds are Forever, Diamond 13, Blood Diamond, A Bugs Life, Loose Diamonds, Diamond Dogs, Ladybugs, Ladybug Ladybug, The Pink Panther, Flashdance, Diamond Head, Black Diamonds, Splendor in the Grass, Red-Handed, The White Diamond, Diamonds in the Sand, Barbie and the Diamond Castle, Rules of Engagement, A Very Long Engagement, The Five Year Engagement, The Engagement, The Notebook

GAUCHE -- Used La Rive Gauche -- Quoting Wikipedia,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rive_Gauche_%28Paris%29

La Rive Gauche (French pronunciation: [la ʁiv ɡoʃ], The Left Bank) is the southern bank of the river Seine in Paris. Here the river flows roughly westward, cutting the city in two: looking downstream, the southern bank is to the left, and the northern bank (or Rive Droite) is to the right.

"Rive Gauche" or "Left Bank" generally refers to the Paris of an earlier era; the Paris of artists, writers and philosophers, including Pablo Picasso, Arthur Rimbaud, Paul Verlaine, Henri Matisse, Jean-Paul Sartre, Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald and dozens of other members of the great artistic community at Montparnasse. The phrase implies a sense of bohemianism and creativity. Some of its famous streets are the Boulevard Saint-Germain, the Boulevard Saint-Michel and the Rue de Rennes.



2 comments:

  1. I love the way it bounces along like a child playing hopscotch... of six or five or maybe even four.... so fresh and innocent reminding me of those moments I half remember... love it Barbara it had a breath of fresh clean are about it... what a really great read ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tobyjust! Honored by your words.

      Delete